The Supersizers Eat The 1980s

The Supersizers Eat The 1980s
Adam Ant and Madonna-style clothing, which Giles and Sue wear.

Friday 5 August 2011

My Blogging Challenge (Day 5)

Hello! This is my final day of 'My Blogging Challenge'. And I thought, why not end on a high? And what better way to do that than to review Giles and Sue's TV shows. This idea has come about with a little help from @hereshelen from Twitter. Her idea was a little bit different, but it had The Supersizers mentioned in it, so I thought, why not do my own review of the show, with little clips from YouTube put in my blog post. I think I will only be able to add the links, but still, this could work! I am really excited to see what I can write about that show, and possibly a bit about their Royal Wedding show too, as I never got around to writing about it when it was first shown on television.

So, here we go...

(Just as a little aside from the blog post, in between writing this I will be watching clips of their show on YouTube, and then adding the link, and writing about it. So, this blog post is not planned. I'm writing it as I'm thinking. Which I usually do anyway, but this time it won't be all in one go, there will be little breaks in between for me, and you, if you watch the clips, in between my writing. Please do, as it will be much easier for you to follow what I'm writing. Unless you know their programmes inside out, and know everything that happens. Not even I know that!)

Alright-y then. Lets get to it! I haven't been writing for roughly 20 minutes, as I have just watched a clip of The Supersizers Go... Wartime on YouTube. And here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOE0VP0EZ0M Before watching it, please read below...

I advise that you watch the clip before you read my next paragraph.

Now, hopefully you've watched the clip, as I just did. If not, you may not get what I'm about to write.

Firstly, I'd like to just say that their show is still funny even now, years after The Supersizers Go... was first shown on TV. Secondly, Sue and Giles are the perfect fake couple. They argue, they eat food together, and they wear funny clothes. And the show is funny from the first moment you start watching it. And if you don't find it funny, then WHO ARE YOU? How can they not make you laugh?

The Wartime episode is one of my favourites from the first series of The Supersizers. It has Sue wearing tights made out of gravy, they have a picnic in the underground, and at the end (as a spoiler, if you've never seen it) they have an end-of-war celebration. And lots of young children come along, and most of them like most of the food, especially the carrots soaked in sugar. (Mmm, yummy!)

(Pause now - for me. I'm going to watch another clip. If I were you I'd have a cuppa tea while you wait for me. Just kidding, for you it'll only be a moment until you see the link in the next paragraph. Also, notice my use of the word 'cuppa', which was in the Wartime episode of The Supersizers, and in the clip you just saw. *whispers* I was trying to be funny. Anyway, I'm going to watch another clip now.)

Here is the link you've all been waiting for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwJYRX4BjU

This time it's The Supersizers Go... Seventies, my all time fave episode from that series. It is GROOVY, as Sue would say, in that episode. Now, assuming you've all watched the clip I just put a link to, you'll know how fab it is! Also, if, like me, you've also ever seen the whole episode, you'll know how great it is too! The funniest clothes ever, and the greatest food ever. If I could choose a time period to go back to, then The Seventies would be up there as one of my faves. And Giles playing on a Space Hopper, and a skateboard, which he can't ride was genius! A funny little montage that is. What's not to love about that episode? And the music they play in the background is great too! Especially Kung Fu Fighting - I love that song!

Now I'm going to watch a clip from The Supersizers Eat. Excuse me for just a moment.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G1mTIXp42s&playnext=1&list=PL4B571C756922D38D

Ok, I'm back. This time, it's... The Eighties!!! Yes, it's my favourite one from The Supersizers Eat. And, I pretty much know the episode inside out. I was even quoting bits as I watched it, even before they had said anything. Like when Sue and Giles have a Power Lunch, I was quoting the food, even before the voiceover man said what it was. E.g. I said "Salmon en croute" as the voiceover man was saying "Grilled salmon", which came just before he said "salmon en croute". I was so surprised that I still remembered the food from the show! How good is my memory? Will I remember the food from that episode for the rest of my life? I do hope so.

Also, the fashion and music from that episode and era was my fave because it's just so good. No-one can deny that the 80s were a great time period, even with a crap government and the miners strike, and people working all the time. People like Madonna and Adam Ant made it much more fun, and the New Romantics, who dressed pretty weirdly, also made it a fun decade. Nuff said. (Nuff means 'enough' by the way.)

Next clip coming up...

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGvtVPuWpHs&feature=related The Twenties. Watch it. All I can say is... Sue's new hair = gorgeous!

Now, if you've watched it you'll notice that Sue didn't really like her new hair cut, she said it made her look like an evil doll, but, in my opinion, it suits her really well. And anyone who doesn't agree, well, what can I say? WHO ARE YOU? Ha ha! (Just kidding.) Anyway, it's a lovely episode, and their clothes really suit them, and Sue's diet is quite funny too. And she's jealous of Giles eating loads, when she can only have laxitives and hot water and lemon, etc.

Now, one more clip. This one will be from their Royal Wedding show. Woopie!

Argh... damn. YouTube is playing up now. Just when I'm nearing the end of my blog post. (No lie.) Can't add a link, but I can tell you a bit about the Royal Wedding programme. Basically, Sue and Giles pretend to be lots of different royal couples throughout the ages, and dress up as them, just like they did in The Supersizers. They even dress up as Kate Middleton and Prince William, which is my home page's photograph. (Which I love.) They are, as per usual, as funny as can be, and they live happily ever after, in the programme. Well, only as Kate and William. Some marragies in the show go horribly wrong, and they end up divorcing.

Now my internet is back to normal I can add the link, but as I've already written what happens, I'm not going to write any more about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcomqVanStU Here we are. Giles & Sue's Royal Wedding, part 1.

Very funny, and very good. Especially when Sue puts her make-up on, and meets Giles, in the hall of a big, posh building.

Now, it's finally the end of my blog post, and the end of 'My Blogging Challenge'. I've done it!!! A whole week (5 days) of writing a blog post once a day, and it has been trimendous - if that word's spelt correctly, which is probably isn't. But, who cares? I've done it! I've done it! I've done it!

Hope you enjoyed my week of blogging as much as I did. And I hope the clips of Sue and Giles entertained you as much as they did me.

Thanks for reading, and who knows, maybe I'll do this again some day. Lots of blogging love, Ss1. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment