The Supersizers Eat The 1980s

The Supersizers Eat The 1980s
Adam Ant and Madonna-style clothing, which Giles and Sue wear.

Sunday 24 October 2010

The night I met Giles Coren!

Hello readers! What an exciting week I've had! On Wednesday, the 20th of October, I met Giles Coren! Yes, the same Giles Coren from 'The Supersizers Eat' and 'Go'!

He was very down to earth, and spoke exactly the same as on television. And I even got a photo of him - which I took...


There he is above, smiling at me and his left hand is behind his back. I'm not sure why, but maybe he was holding something (I don't know) .

Anyway, I met him in a book shop - as you can tell from the photo. It was a Waterstones, in North London. He was doing a book signing, and a Q + A with Alison Rudd. And I got in at the last minute, with the VERY last ticket.

As I entered the book shop, it was very empty, and then I saw the stairs, which were red, and on the bottom step stood a freestanding notice saying 'Meet Giles Coren' with a photo of him in the middle of it.

As I wondered upstairs, I thought it sounded a bit too quiet. Then, all of a sudden, I heard a few people laughing. Then, as I got closer, I saw Giles sitting at a table, with Alison on the right, and him on the left.

I got given a seat right at the back, so when Giles was speaking, I could only occationally see his hands pop out from either side of people's heads. And also if I stretched my neck, I could see the top of his head.

Anyway, the jist of it was that him and Alison would talk to each other, but mainly him, and other people would ask him questions whenever they wanted to - even though, not many people did. Then, towards the end, Alison got people to put up their hands (as if they were at Primary School) and ask questions to Giles.

I decided not to, as I wanted to hear what other people would ask him. And some questions were rather funny. For example, one woman asked Giles about something he said in his book about Vegetarians. And he didn't even remember what he'd written - which is understandable, as he writes two new columns every week in The Times.

After people had asked him questions, he got up, quite causually, and wondered around the area where he'd be signing books. He eventually sat down, at a little table, with a red and white cloth on it, and began to sign books. And only about half of the people went over to him, to get their copy signed. Which, in my opinion, must mean that those people weren't really that keen on buying his book - just wanted to see him in the flesh.

But, of course, I did go there to see him in the flesh, but I'd already bought the book a few months ago. And some people didn't even have the book already, they paid after hearing him talk.

I waited until everyone had seen him before talking to him, as I wanted to be the last, purely because I would have a good chance of talking to him for quite a while - which I did. He was very nice, and signed my copy. And also some other bits I'd brought along. I also gave him some artwork I'd done for him and Sue, which he seemed very pleased with.

All in all, it was a great night out, and I urge you to go along to a book signing some time. Not just his, but other writers as well. I think that must of been my first proper one, and I LOVED IT! They are definately the way forward, I swear.

Thanks for reading this blog, and I hope to read your comments on it.

Bye for now, Ss1!

2 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to get the last ticket and to get to chat to Giles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Yes, I was pretty lucky that night. It almost felt like a fairytale, as if I was playing Cinderella or something. And before the event, lots of people I know wished me luck as well.

    ReplyDelete