The Supersizers Eat The 1980s

The Supersizers Eat The 1980s
Adam Ant and Madonna-style clothing, which Giles and Sue wear.

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Books I like to read.

Hello! Here's a late night blog, if you read this as soon as I've posted it on Twitter.

Well, my 'What you can expect from me soon' blog post doesn't exactly follow in my recent blogs as I've had other things going on, and the things I wanted to blog about then, aren't as important to me now, as they were then. I wanted to go into depth about my two virtual cats, and that hasn't happened, and I wanted to tell you about the places I've eaten out at recently, and what I've ate, and that too hasn't happened. And, the only thing I managed to write about from that blog post, was going to London, and meeting Mark Watson, which is on my other, newer, and more jazzy-looking blog, on Typepad, which in previous posts I have put a link to.

In this blog post, however, I have decided, that because of more recent events, that I will blog about books that I like reading, because that's what I've spent quite a bit of my time doing recently.

I think I'd like to list them first, just so you know the ones that I like, or have liked to read.

1. Anger Management for Beginners. (By Giles Coren.)

2. Eleven. (By Mark Watson.)

3. From Here To Maternity. (By Mel Giedroyc.)

4. Going Gaga. (Also by Mel Giedroyc.)

5. Wuthering Heights. (By Emily Bronte.)

6. The Worst Witch. (By Jill Murphy. Which I had to look up just now, because it was so long ago since I read her books.)

7. The Magic Key. (By Roderick Hunt. Which I also just looked up, because that was also a long time ago since I read those stories.)

These are just a few of the books I've read in my life. I've got to say, I'm not the biggest reader, infact when I was at Primary School, I absolutely hated reading, and would throw a big tantrum with my mother when she tried to get me to read. I'd beg her to let me watch some more children's television, before I did my daily reading homework, but she would insist that I turned the television off, and sat with her to read.

But these days, I am much more fond of reading, especially Giles Coren's restaurant reviews and opinion columns in The Times newspaper. Also, as you may already know, I recently went to a book signing event at the Foyles bookstore in London, and met Mark Watson, and also ordered his book 'Eleven' from Amazon. And in the past week and a bit, I have been reading it off and on, and am really getting into it. For someone who used to hate reading, I think that's a pretty good thing, and I often feel a sense of achievement when I finish a paragraph or chapter in a book.

Also, Giles Coren's book, 'Anger Management for Beginners' is a very good read, and another book which I have not only been reading (for quite a long time, as I have been quite busy in the past few months, so haven't had much time for reading until now) but also I have been to the book event for that book as well, and met Giles Coren back in October last year, when he did a Q & A, and signing for that book.

I love going to book events. I would like to add that again, book events aren't a regular thing for me, just like I used to hate reading, you wouldn't of caught my child-self at a book event, but my grown-up self, oh yes, indeed! I am now a complete convert. I like going to them, but only if I happen to hear about one, in a paper, or on Twitter, I don't go hunting to find the next book event, and I wouldn't go to just any one of them either. I am only interested if the author is someone I've heard of, and is someone I like. Like Giles and Mark. There's no point going to any kind of event if you're not interested in what it is. Or, who is there.

I am so getting into writing too. Blogging is like writing for me. I feel as if I am getting my points across, and expressing myself, without getting all bitchy, or angry, and sounding like I'm just having a rant. I also am planning (and 'planning' is the important word) to write a book. Now, I have absolutely no idea of how to go about writing one, or how to get one published, but, I just had an idea for one, which some of my followers on Twitter know about. And if it happens, then great. But if it doesn't, then it's probably not meant to be. I get over failure pretty quickly, so it wouldn't bother me for very long if it didn't happen. And I have tried to get someone to help, but so far, nothing has come of it. I hope someone can help me, as I'd love to have my own book. And it would be very cool if I was actually the author at a book signing, signing my fans' books.

Anyway, as far as reality goes, nothing is happening so far. My story could do with a bit of a structure, as it's all just been thought of on the spot. But, I do hope something happens soon. I will probably keep you notified if anything does happen.

So, to conclude this rather long blog post (which is surprisingly long for me) I have grown to love books, over quite a long period of time, and have been to a few book events which I have really enjoyed, and now I'm inspired to write a book of my own. Wish me luck! (I'll probably need it.)

Bye for now, Ss1. x

No comments:

Post a Comment